Friday, January 14, 2011

Response to Alyssa's Post: Cussing

This is something interesting that I found on Alyssa's Blog.

I agree with Vic when he states that people eventually become immune to cuss words after hearing the phrases being directed towards them or used to describe someone or something else after certain periods of time. People begin to adapt and they may even pick up and begin using these words.
It is also true that cussing would eventually become a bad habit (personally, I have a habit of using such words everyday and I do not plan to stop using them anytime soon).

Personally, I believe with what both Alyssa and Vic are saying. After a while of using cuss words, I feel as if they are just a simple part of my vocabulary and it is a habitual thing to cuss whenever something bad happens. However, whenever someone that is not used to using cuss words hears me using them, they seem extremely shocked that I would use those words and they immediately reproach me for using them. However, I see nothing wrong with using them and I wonder why they are so affected by my use of cuss words. I also have no idea how to stop using them because they have become so routine and so habitual in my life.

...because people can be restricted from these additions by not allowing them to get near whatever the individuals are addicted to but no one can restrict people from using cuss words - people can still think cuss words even if they cannot or do not speak them aloud. This is because words are part of human society; they are a part of communication - a way to express ourselves.

I also think that cuss words are a part of communication and should not be restricted. Communication cannot be restricted, and even cuss words may seem obscene and immoral, restricting cuss words would be similar to restricting our right to communicate in whatever way we want using whatever language we want. It would also be a violation of our amendments as freedom of speech is one of those rights, and that is a foundation of our government.

No comments:

Post a Comment